Product Alternative Assessments
and Chemical Hazard Assessments
Using scientific expertise to find safer solutions
- The Summary
- A leading chemicals manufacturer calls on AlterEcho to critically assess an environmentally-improved alternative
- The Client
- Eastman Chemical Company, Kingsport, TN—a worldwide provider of specialty and advanced materials
- The Rundown
- + Seeking to allay health and toxicity concerns about phthalates (chemical plasticizers) used in packaging,
Eastman developed a new phthalate-free plasticizer known as Eastman 168™, and called on AlterEcho to provide an
- Our toxicological experts performed an Alternative Assessment (AA), defined by the US EPA as a chemical hazard assessment
(CHA) “to inform (substance) substitution to safer alternatives and reduce the likelihood of unintended consequences.”
- We performed a rigorous scientific analysis that looked at the health and environmental implications
of this new plasticizer, utilizing known ‘green chemistry’ principles and a scientifically valid approach.
- AlterEcho confirmed Eastman 168’s ecologically friendly profile, and its capability to eliminate
more than 200,000 tons of toxic phthalates annually.